Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Monday, August 29, 2011
- Flavored milk provides essential nutrients for good health and kids drink more when flavored.
- Flavored milk contains the same nine essential nutrients as white milk.
- Flavored milk helps kids get three daily servings recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Lowfat chocolate milk is the most popular choice and kids drink less if taken away.
You can find more information about the nutritional benefits and the scientific research supporting flavored milk in child nutrition at http://www.nationaldairycouncil.org/ or http://www.midwestdairy.com/. I'm raising my glass for chocolate milk! Will you join me?
Sunday, August 28, 2011
Friday, August 26, 2011
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Sunday, August 21, 2011
Friday, August 19, 2011
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Today was the first day of our Benton County Fair. Benton County Farm Bureau began sponsoring the petting zoo at least fifteen years ago. I've been the zoo keeper for ten of those years. Kids and adults can pet two baby pigs,chicks,a dairy calf, a goat , a lamb and milk Sophia, our special milking cow. I'm thankful for all the volunteers who willingly help to make the petting zoo a great experience for thousands of kids and their families.
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Monday, August 15, 2011
Sunday, August 14, 2011
- If you're pressed for time in the morning,take advantage of school breakfast programs.
- Be a role model parent. Eat breakfast yourself and with your children when possible.
- Keep easy-to-serve breakfast foods or grab-and-go options on hand:
-Mom-approved "breakfast bowl" filled with yogurt tubes,string cheese
-Cup of yogurt with animal or graham cracker sticks for dunking
-Trail mix or dried fruit with a plastic re-sealable container of milk
You may want to try this easy breakfast recipe shared by Dairymom Jennifer Gross of South Dakota:
Oatmeal Yogurt Breakfast Blend
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup diced apple
2 tablespoons raisins
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
2 teaspoons brown sugar
dash of cinnamon
Mix all ingredients together and serve. For best taste results, prepare the night before and store in refrigerator. Serves:1
More information about dairy nutrition,recipes and tips to help you be a successful Breakfast Champion Mom can be found at http://www.dairymakessense.com.
I'll be thinking about you as your new school year begins and I hope you have a great start to the new school year!