According to the Raw Milk Fact Sheet provided by Midwest Dairy, here are some proven facts about milk and pasteurization:
- Pasteurization DOES kill harmful bacteria.
- Pasteurization DOES save lives.
- Both raw milk and pasteurized milk can cause allergic reactions in people sensitive to milk proteins.
- Pasteurization DOES NOT reduce milk's nutritional value.
- The American Medical Associaton and the American Academy of Pediatrics endorse the importance of pasteurization and warn against raw milk consumption especially for children,pregnant women,the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems.
The Food and Drug Administration advises consumers to avoid raw milk and offers these tips when buying milk or milk products:
- Ask store employees if specific brands are pasteurized.
- At farm stands or farmers' markets, ask if the milk and cream being sold have been pasteurized. If the market sells yogurt,ice cream or cheese, as if they were made with pasteurized milk.