Here are just a few charming buttermilk facts:
- When combined with baking soda, buttermilk produces light baked goods and adds extra tenderness,moisture and flavor.
- Buttermilk acts as a tenderizer when combined with seasonings in marinades for meat and poultry.
- Buttermilk adds low-fat creaminess and flavor to soups,salad dressings and sauces.
- Buttermilk can be substituted for yogurt or mayonnaise in some recipes.
- Buttermilk's tangy flavor goes well with sweet fruits such as peaches,cherries, and pears.
- Buttermilk can be made with sweet milk by adding 1 Tablespoon vinegar or 1 Tablespoon lemon juice to 1 cup of milk.
Buttermilk Crumb Cake
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup butter,softened
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Combine flour,sugar,butter, and spices; mix thoroughly until mixture resembles crumbs. Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture for topping.
Add eggs,buttermilk,baking powder, and soda to remaining crumb mixture; beat well.
Pour into a well-greased and floured 13x9x2 in. baking pan. Top with reserved crumbs.
Sprinkle with nuts, if desired.
Bake at 350 degrees fro 45 minutes or until cake tests done. Cut into square and serve warm or cold.
Yield: 15 servings
Do you have a favorite buttermilk recipe?