Before I gave my presentation, I learned about a variety of ways communities in Arkansas are meeting the public health challenges such as:
- Increasing access to healthful foods by developing community gardens or opening farmers markets
- Increasing the opportunity for physical activity by increasing sidewalks,trails and influencing physical education in schools and preschools
- Enhancing policies that foster health
- Improving worksite wellness
- Organizing for change
So, how does a dairy farmer support a healthy community? In my opinion, dairy farmers support healthy communities by:
- producing a nutrient-dense,economical food.
- providing funding for research and development of products to meet consumers' needs.
- providing funding for and implementation of Fuel Up to Play 60 to involve children in making healthy food choices and being physically active for life long healthy habits.