After two major lightning strikes on our farm within the last two weeks,I am reminding myself and sharing these lightning safety measures found at http://www.nfpa.org/education.
For outdoor safety:
- If you can hear thunder, you are within striking distance of lightning. Look for shelter inside a building or a hard-topped vehicle.
- Do not go under tall trees for shelter.
- If caught outside away from a building or car, stay clear of water bodies or tall objects. Find a low spot or depression and crouch down as low as possible, but don't lie on the ground.
- Wait at least 30 minutes after the last thunder before leaving your shelter.
- If you are in or on open water, go to land and seek shelter immediately.
- Unplug appliances and other electrical items.
- Stay away from windows and door.
- Stay off corded phones,computers and other electronic equipment that put you in direct contact with electricity or plumbing.
- Avoid washing your hands,bathing,doing laundry or washing dishes.
It's a fact that we can't stop Mother Nature but we can
follow safety tips to protect ourselves and our families!