It was interesting to read about the modern cage system used in egg production and the humane and ethical guidelines that are followed. Here are benefits of the cage system:
- Eggs from modern cage production typically are 50-70 percent less expensive than non-cage eggs.
- Modern cage systems allow for cleaner, safer eggs and provide a more stable supply to meet consumer demand.
- Modern cage systems provide hens with protection from soil and litter borne diseases, resulting in fewer health problems.
- Research shows that hens in modern cages do not have any greater levels of stress than free range hens.
- Research shows that eggs from modern cage systems have lower shell bacteria levels than eggs from cage-free range systems. Modern cage systems allow for daily inspections and monitoring of hens for illnesses and quick treatment.
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped zucchini
1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
2 Tablespoons chopped red onion
1) Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper in medium bowl until blended. Add cheese, zucchini, sweet pepper and onion; mix well. Spoon evenly into 12 greased muffin cups, about 1/4 cup each.
2) Bake in 350 degrees F oven until just set, about 20 to 22 minutes. Cool on rack 5 minutes. Remove from cups, serve warm.
Quick breakfast solution: Bake muffin frittatas the night before and refrigerate. Quickly re-warm in the microwave to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F in the morning.
You can find this recipe, other great egg recipes and info on the side at incredibleegg.org.