With summer time full of activity and erratic family schedules, winning snacks should provide carbohydrate,protein,fiber and some healthy fat. Low-fat dairy products are powerhouses of calcium and protein and make great choices for snacking for adults and children. Here are just a few healthy and economical snack suggestions found on the Web MD site (http://www.webmd.com):
- Whip up a smoothie using any fresh or frozen fruit,plain low-fat yogurt,100%fruit juice, and ice
- Low fat microwave popcorn tossed with Parmesan cheese
- Low fat ice cream or frozen yogurt topped with fresh fruit
- Snack size (8oz) of low fat plain or chocolate milk with whole wheat pretzels
- Whole grain crackers,string cheese and mango slices
- Cooked or raw vegetables with low-fat ranch dressing, and a hardboiled egg
- Bowl of whole grain cereal and low fat milk
- Small container of Greek yogurt
- Substitute low-fat frozen yogurt for premium ice cream for added nutrition and fewer calories
You can find more great recipes and snack ideas at http://www.midwestdairy.com or http://www.dairymakessense.com.
I'm ready for a healthy snack---how about you?