Take heart--even though dairy farmers have no control over the dairy cliff--happening or not happening--you can be sure that Dairy Makes Nutritional Sense. Here are a few notes why Dairy Makes Sense:
- Together, milk,cheese and yogurt play a critical role in the diets of adults and children by providing nine essential nutrients, including calcium,magnesium,potassium and phosphorus, in addition to 48 percent of the daily value of protein.
- Dairy foods provide 70 percent of the calcium in the nation's food supply; milk is the top source of potassium,phosphorus,and vitamin D in the U.S. diet.
- Dairy nutrients are vital to the development of strong bones, thus reducing the risk of developing osteoporosis.
- Research suggest dairy foods help prevent weight gain and are beneficial for weight maintainence.
- Minerals found in dairy foods play an important role in maintaining healthy blood pressure.
- Consumption of dairy foods is associated with a reduced risk of cardiometabolic syndrome, a cluster of metabolic abnormalities that increases the risk of cardiovasuclar disease and type 2 diabetes.